01 Oct '21

Exploring the Ring

1362
door Wim Troch
In the final part of our series on the Ring Road, we are travelling from Ophain to Argenteuil, at the border between the Walloon and Flemish regions. This section may be 12 km long but the road at this point covers just two municipalities: Braine-l’Alleud and Waterloo.

 One of Belgium’s most famous monuments, the Lion’s Mound, is actually located within the municipality of Braine-l’Alleud. This route also includes the Berlaymont School complex and the Argenteuil Estate, which is now home to the Scandinavian School of Brussels. The estate also features the Queen Elisabeth Music Chapel, a modernist building, where the twelve finalists of the Queen Elisabeth Competition go into seclusion for one week to prepare for the final. La Hulpe sanatorium is located a bit further down the road.