The N6 is arguably the oldest of all the N-roads starting from Brussels. The route was built between 1704 and 1718, with the section in the Rand being the first, completed between 1704 and 1706. Napoleon decided the road should be designated an imperial route connecting Paris to Amsterdam. The route’s design is still that of a classic, car-centric thoroughfare. Despite the conversion of one of the original four lanes to a bus lane, cyclists and pedestrians are still largely underserved. Ongoing infrastructure enhancements starting from Zuun are designed to improve the safety of the N6. Just beyond the busy highway on the edge of Brussels lies Vogelzang, a delightful haven of greenery.
The N6 road runs from Brussels through Halle and Mons all the way to Paris, with over 7 km of this route situated in the Vlaamse Rand.